I have always been a strong supporter of the banana-chocolate pairing. My go-to this-almost-counts-as-healthy snack is a bowl of sliced bananas and chocolate chips. And that’s what my intention was this afternoon when I walked into the kitchen feeling a little peckish. Unfortunately, the bananas were a bit too ripe for my liking and I certainly wasn’t patient enough to wait for a loaf of banana bread. My solution was this ooey-gooey, almost-chocolate, not-quite-healthy sheet cakey creation.
- 5 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine bananas, brown sugar, canola oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla. You can mix until it is smooth or you can leave the banana chunky if you prefer.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Spray a 9×13″ pan with nonstick spray.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of your lovely banana batter.
- Pour the remaining batter into the pan. Set aside.
- Add your 1/3 cup of batter back into the mixer bowl. Add Nutella and cream cheese and mix until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and mix again.
- Drizzle the Nutella mixture over the batter and use a fork to swirl the two together. Don’t miss the edges or they won’t cook evenly!
- Bake for 20-24 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Devour ravenously.
- Store whatever unlikely leftovers you have in the fridge to devour at a later time.